Doug's rants, raves & observations on life...

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Miscellany from a hammock

It will come as no surprise to those who know me that one of my favorite summertime pass times is sleeping. There's nothing I enjoy like a good, long nap to sleep away those dreary summer afternoons. Well, dreary if you're in Nova Scotia, because all it does here is RAIN.

My second favorite summertime pass time is, as it has been since I bought it in Mexico in 2002, napping in the hammock outside. But during those times of lucidity, in between dozing off for the tenth time, dodging the variable showers and reading the Globe and Mail, I like to think. About random things. So here it is:
  • Marco and I are officially DINKS! Yes, we were DINKS before, but in giving up half of my yearly income to take on the punishment of the Ph.D., I never thought that things would actually get better for us. But boy, was I wrong. Thanks to Marco securing a nice job in Columbus, we shall never struggle for money again. Thank God. I was so tired of shopping for off-labels.
  • I've been struggling with a cold, likely brought on by visiting Chantal and her 20,000 cats. Well, it's probably closer to two than 20,000, but seeing as how I hate them so, it certainly felt more like 20,000. Although it was really two.
  • Congrats to Team Canada on finally winning a medal. We're no longer tied for 83rd! Instead, we're in the 20s, tied with Turkey, Georgia (who, yes, is currently at war), Spain and Austria, the birthplace of Hitler. We're still behind Zimbabwe, what with their trillion percent inflation, Indonesia, who had to pull their athletes away from the Nike factories and North Korea. North Korea?!?!?! Maybe Canada should engineer a famine to get the team going...
  • I have developed a fondness for cookies. The scale groans.
  • CTV is currently rerunning "Murder In The Hamptons." I've seen this movie at least 7 times. Sigh.
  • I was dreading not having internet at home, but so some reason, I was able to pick up wireless from one of the neighbours. I was cruising reader one day and noticed that Loralee's latest post was written by "von Loralee." Strange, I thought. Loralee never mentioned taking on the title of a German Princess. Suddenly, Jess was "von Jess." "von Kristopher." "von Katherine." Had the world gone mad? Was everybody taking German royal titles? Is there even a German royal family? Then I discovered that every internet variable was in German. It seems that the internet I'm stealing is indeed in German. I don't even know the logistics of this, and so long as I continue to get free internet, I don't really care.
  • Following the trajectory of her life, my sister has run away with the circus. For real. Or what passes for the circus around here, anyway. Yes, my sister is now a carny. Jerry Springer should do an on-location with my family.
  • I love fresh plums. Especially those from the tree in our backyard.
  • Columbus is pretty nice. I'm going to take some pics of our fantastic apartment when I get back.
  • Want your computer to look like a Mac even though you're too cheap to buy an actual Mac? Try RocketDoc!
  • The blogging hiatus is nearly over. One I get back to Columbus, look for old hell to break loose on the blogging front. Or at least minor heck.

Labels:

7 Outsider observations:

  • von Khristopher has a nice lil ring to it!

    I don't think wireless connection can affect the language you see in your browser.
    I would check a browser language setting or your language setting in Google Reader perhaps? I believe that's the one you use.

    By Blogger Khristopher, at 8/16/2008 08:21:00 PM  

  • Sweet Deal...I am so happy it's working for you!

    and hopefully I'll be seen you ok?? I hate cats too!!!

    XOXOXOXOXOXOXO

    And Yes...I'll blog...and yes...You'll HaVe 2 ReaD!!!!

    By Blogger Kathy, at 8/16/2008 10:24:00 PM  

  • wow. i love being von jess. i might change my name to that.

    and technically, you aren't "stealing" the wireless...you are just using an "open" connection. ha.

    By Blogger jess, at 8/17/2008 12:45:00 PM  

  • I am totally down with being a Princess.

    By Blogger Loralee Choate, at 8/17/2008 02:47:00 PM  

  • The whole wireless thing is weird. The internet variables keep switching languages between German and English, so I have no clue WTF is going on. It could just be Windows Vista, which is complete shit. God, how I hate Vista.

    Seriously though, you guys must try Rocketdock. It's freaking amazing. Although it does nothing for the performance, it really makes your computer desktop look like a Mac.

    By Blogger Doug, at 8/17/2008 04:23:00 PM  

  • Crap... now I have to live with Jess and Loralee thinking they are german princesses. /sigh What have you done to me?

    Sincerely,

    Von Bridge

    By Blogger Bridge, at 8/18/2008 12:31:00 AM  

  • Several things:

    1. Yay, you're back!
    2. Yay for Marco getting a great job!
    3. Boo on your sister... I hope she gets her head put back on straight soon... maybe you should have Montel come do one of those scared straight shows with her...
    4. Yay for hammocks!
    5. Yay for macs! Even if you can actually have one, at least you don't have to look at vista all day!

    By Blogger gradschoolknitter, at 8/18/2008 08:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home